The Kansas Department of Commerce on Work Opportunity Tax Credit was recently reauthorized and will impact quite a few employers.
This is the link to their page: http://www.kansascommerce.com/index.aspx?NID=261 and to the state Live File: www.kansaswotc.com .
On January 3, 2013, President Obama signed into law the American Tax Payer Relief Act of 2012, which authorizes an extension of the WOTC program.
In summary, the Act:
• Extends authorization for all veterans target groups (including those implemented under the VOW to Hire Heroes Act) to December 31, 2013;
• Retroactively reauthorizes all WOTC non-veteran target groups, from December 31, 2011 to December 31, 2013;
• Does NOT reauthorize the Recovery Act disconnected youth and Recovery Act unemployed veteran target groups.
The Office of Workforce Investment is working in coordination with the IRS to issue a Training & Employment Guidance Letter (TEGL) regarding the legislative extension of WOTC.
In the interim:
• Veterans Target Groups—The WOTC Units can continue with no interruption processing and issuing determinations on WOTC applications for veterans target groups.
• Non-veteran Target Groups—During the hiatus, the WOTC Units could accept applications but were instructed to hold off fully processing those applications pending further legislative action and guidance. With legislative authorization for WOTC now extended, the WOTC Units can finish processing and begin issuing determinations on applications for non-veteran target groups received during the 2012 hiatus.
The office of Workforce Investment is anticipating that the IRS will provide a period of relief from the 28-day timely filing requirement. IRS will be issuing forthcoming guidance that would include any such relief period.
If you have any questions, please email me or call me.
Phone: (785) 296-7435
Information Provided by
Christy Harmon, Workforce Readiness Director 2013 email@example.com